I thought that I should mention a few things about my Pokémon X progress:
1. I beat the 8th gym!
With that out of the way, I think that I know who's on my team, though many of these decisions have made themselves. They are:
- Meowstic (female): special attacker
- Gogoat: physical attacker
- Barbaracle: tank
- Hawlucha: beat stick (and conveniently flying-type)
- Doublade: Ghost/Steel type fast physical attacker that's a Ghost/Steel type
- Greninja: high-speed mixed attacker w/ double-team
Barbaracle is actually a pretty good tank once it evolves out of its Binacle stage.
I don't have any status-inflictors on the team, but I think that I'll be OK with the team as it is. Each pokémon knows a variety of damaging attacks, so type coverage shouldn't be an issue. 3 of my pokémon are weak to Electric attacks, but Gogoat knows Bulldoze, so I don't foresee problems from Electric-type pokémon - though I've already fought an Electric-type gym leader, so I don't expect any of the Elite 4 to use them, since that's pretty normal.
2. Barbaracle can't learn Waterfall. :-\
Given that the 8th badge is required to use it, I'm presuming that I'll need to use Waterfall to reach the Pokémon League. I've got a Clauncher, so I'll probably use that just enough to get there. Still, I'd have gladly taught the move to Barbaracle, were it allowed. :-\