Monday, April 30, 2012

Ye Olde Star Trekke

For those who don't know, I've lately been watching the original Star Trek series.  It's actually not that bad.  I expected it to be pretty not-good given the time period in which it was made, the budget, and the time period in which it was made.  Here are the things that have stood out to me so far:

  • Red shirts don't get thrown away (i.e., written to death) nearly as often as I'd been led to believe.  
  • Computers had a lot of exposed circuits back then.  
  • For being 300 years in the future, it still takes a long time to get data from an on-board computer.  
  • Everyone's a human except Spock, who's half-human.  
  • Spellcheck didn't try to correct "Spock" there.  
  • About half of all aliens are absurdly powerful cosmic beings.  
  • Even back then, there was a really bad habit of sending way too many senior officers down with a landing party.  
  • Uhura is pretty well-rounded for a secondary character.  
    • I mean, really, it's basically about Kirk, Spock, & Bones.  
  • Spellcheck doesn't know who Uhura is.  
    • I checked my own spelling via Google, so I know that it's right.  
  • Inexplicably, security personnel and engineers both wear red.  In the future, this is corrected by dressing security personnel in yellow and engineers in yellow.  Wait a minute....  
So, I'm finding the series quite palatable, though I hear that the 3rd season is kind of bad.  We shall see!

No comments: