Monday, May 30, 2016

Regarding Battleborn & Overwatch

I mentioned last month that, during this month, I'd talk a bit about the new games that came out:  Battleborn (by Gearbox) and Overwatch (by Blizzard).  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play either game nearly as much as I'd like, but I think that I can give something of a summary of my impressions of these games. 
In short, Battleborn is better if you're after strategic depth and long play, but Overwatch is better if you're after a more tactical experience and shorter games.  I've also found both games to have noticeable shortcomings.  In Battleborn's case, a typical match is 5v5, but, in the interest of not constantly resetting matchmaking, if someone drops, then the game can continue as 5v4, but the team that's a man down isn't compensated in any way, meaning that they're always fighting at a severe disadvantage.  For Overwatch, it comes back to the character vs. class issue:  While it's possible to play a highlander-equivalent mode in a custom game, custom games require inviting people; quick-play matches have no character limits, and there's no way to quick-join a character-limited match. 
I hope to have deeper reviews at some later point, but that'll have to wait until next month, as I don't have the time right now to play these games enough to do the reviews justice. 

No comments: